Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Quilts -- Antique? Vintage? Who knows?

Two works of mercy set a man free: forgive and you will be forgiven, and give and you will receive.
                                                                                                        Augustine


I'm not sure what makes a quilt an antique. Maybe in my spare time (I would have if I didn't enjoy spending my evenings getting a peak at so many blogger's homes.) I should research that.  

But I do know that I have 4 quilts that I consider antique. The sad part is I'm not sure where I got some of them. So I'll show you how I have them displayed right now. Some of you may cringe because I do not have them protected from the ladder like I should. I probably need to get some old cotton to put between the rungs of the ladder and the quilts. 



This is not the ladder I want to display the quilts on. I want one of the old ones that just lean and have a big space between the rungs. Preferably about 10-12 feet tall so it would cover most of my wall to the high ceilings. I'm on the look out. 



This ladder came from my mom and dad's place. I was visiting on Thanksgiving and wanted to display these quilts for the Christmas open house I was participating in. I asked if they had an old ladder and sure enough they did.



Who knows how old it is? It is well weathered. My mom and dad keep things forever so it was probably around when I was a kid. 


Now for the quilts . . . 




This quilt was hand sewn and quilted by my paternal grandmother. I'm not sure when but I think in the 1920's to 1940's. I never met my grandmother as she died before I was born. But my dad gave this quilt to me. I will always treasure it.




This double wedding ring quilt is amazing. It has some dark stains but otherwise is in very good shape. The blocks are about 1/2 to 3/4 inches square. They are so tiny. The stitches are very tiny also. And to think--no sewing machine.













I think the other three quilts came from my husband's grandmothers but I'm not positive. My mother-in-law said the 2nd one from the bottom looked vaguely familiar so I think it may have come from Mr. Paramedic's maternal grandmother. The bottom one may have come from Mr. Paramedic's paternal grandmother. I think I actually picked the 2nd quilt from a batch of quilts that came from Mr. Paramedic's maternal grandmother's house when she died. 

Hope you enjoyed the show. If any quilters out there know anything about the material used, etc. that can help me date them, I would love to hear from you. 


Until next time  . . . 


Take care and God Bless.

2 comments:

Anita Diaz said...

The quilts are amazing!! I have a couple old ones and a double wedding ring quilt that my two great aunts made, and I treasure them so much. So sad that more people don't know how to do it. Thanks for stopping by..please come again!

Love Of Quilts said...

Your quilts are really nice.I love the old patchwork quilts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails